I’m a native Italian speaker from Venice. Earlier this year, my husband and I had a lovely baby boy. We decided to raise him bilingual, because we think:
- M should maintain a connection with his mom’s heritage.
- M will love to speak with his Italian family and future friends.
- M might end up using his bilingualism as an asset on his job.
The reasons are there. However, questions immediately emerge:
- How do we teach M two languages?
- Does bilingualism represent too much a strain on M’s developing brain?
- What is the best way to keep M interested in learning and improving his Italian while he lives in the United States?